Why do we need Christmas? Sure, there are lots of pluses: pluses on your odometer, pluses on your credit card, pluses on your bathroom scales. Do we need Christmas?
True, some good things happen at Christmas, like time with our families, and reconnecting with old friends.
Yes, some good things happen at Christmas, like the Christmas Truce. In 1914, during World War I, members of the British Expeditionary Force heard German troops opposite them in the trenches singing Christmas carols. They began shouting messages between the trenches.
The next day, the soldiers met in no man’s land and exchanged gifts, took photographs, and even played games of soccer. But the next day, the truce was over.
What we really need Christmas for is not a truce. We need victory and peace! We need Christmas because we are all in a true, world-wide war. But it’s not between the Central Power and the Allies. It’s between God and Satan.
The war rages in our world, and in our hearts. And the stakes are life and death: We need Christmas because we need to be saved from death.
Christmas Day 25th December 2019
- We need Christmas because there is a world-wide _______________________ between _______________________ & _______________________ (v15)
- What is the high point of creation (Genesis 1:26-30)?
- God commanded Adam not to ________________ from the _______________________________________ or he would _____________________ (Genesis 2:16)
- If he obeyed, what would Adam have received (v22)?
- Who tempted Eve (v1)?
- Who suffers death (v19, Romans 5:12-21)?
- God declares war between Satan and ________________________________________ (v15)
- Who will win (v15)?
- My sins deserve ___________________________ (Romans 6:23)
- Jesus died but ____________________________ again (Isaiah 53:10)
- Jesus bore our sin so we might _____________________ to sin & _______________________ to righteousness (1 Peter 2:24)
- A question I have:
- A truth to share:
- Something to pray about:
- How I will change: