What are we on about? What is our message for the world?
You’ll find churches that are about religious observance, teaching people to carry out ceremonies and traditions. You’ll find churches that are about self-actualization, teaching people to enjoy life. You’ll find churches that are about moral improvement, teaching people to live better. But none of those are what Jesus’ Church is about.
Jesus’ Church exists because of the good news, to tell the good news, and to live the good news. It doesn’t exists because of a religious tradition or a cultural heritage. Jesus established His Church by saving sinners, to tell the news of salvation to sinners, so that we will live like saved sinners.
Here in Acts 13, we find an open opportunity for the good news. Paul and his companions have sailed north from Cyprus to modern-day Turkey. John Mark left them (v13), though we’re not told why. Later, it is clear that Paul considers this desertion (15:38).
So, coming to another city called Antioch, in Pisidia, they come to the synagogue, and are invited to speak. It’s an open invitation: “Brothers, if you have any word of encouragement for the people, say it,” (v15).
So, if we have an open opportunity to talk to someone about Jesus, what can we say?
- Remember Your History (v13-25)
- Receive Your Saviour (v26-37)
- Recognise Your Plight (v38-39)
- Reconsider Your Response (v40-52)
Is your message for the world the Christian message? Do you believe God’s good news?
Sunday 10th March 2019
- Does it matter whether the Christian message is true to history? Yes/No
- Who is our message about?
- God’s actions in history were to bring His ultimate _____________ to us (v23)
- Israel’s history belongs to Abraham’s children who have _________ (Gal 3:7)
- The purpose of history is to unite all things under ___________ (Eph 1:7-10)
- Why did God raise Jesus (v30-35)?
- “The Gospel is who Jesus _____, what Jesus _______, & how we _________ it.”
- I cannot earn f____________ from guilt or f_______________ from sin (v38-39).
- If I reject Jesus, I will _________ (v41) God ________________d all who believe (v48, Eph 1:4, John 10:3, 27-29)
- A question I have:
- A truth to share:
- Something to pray about:
- How I should live: