Hypocrisy, grumbling, greed. They all reveal a heart that says, “I deserve better than God is giving me.” And that’s one of the oldest lies around. When Satan asked Eve, “Did God actually say ‘You shall not eat from any tree in the Garden’?” (Genesis 3:1), he wasn’t questioning whether God had actually said those words; He was asking, ‘How could God have said that to you if He wants what’s best for you? Surely you know better!’ And every time we agree with Satan, that’s pride.
That’s the sin at the root of all this. Jesus says, “You will recognize them by their fruits,” (Matthew 7:20). The fruit is the action: grumbling and hypocrisy. But the root of the plant is pride. And it goes deep down.
Here, God tells us one essential fact about Himself, “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble,” (v5b). So, if we’re reeling from all the focus on hypocrisy and grumbling: maybe we should be. Because God opposes the proud. But remember, He also gives grace to the humble.
So, what kind of fruit will that grace grow? What does God’s grace do in us? It will cause us to do four things:
- Care for the Flock of God (v1-4)
- Humble Yourselves Under God (v5-7)
- Keep Watch and Resist the Devil (v8-9)
- Be Strengthened by the God of All Grace (v10-14)
Sunday 24th November 2019
- The root cause of grumbling and hypocrisy is ____________________ (v5)
- Elders must _______ for the flock (v1)
- Oversight requires having ___________ conversations that do us good (v2)
- No one should be _______ to lead (v2)
- Elders lead by __________________ (v3)
- Who should elders please (v4)?
- Learn _____________________ early (v5)
- God gives ____________ to the humble (v5) and __________________ them (v6)
- Anxiety is opposite of ________ (v6-7)
- Sober means (v8)
- How is the Devil unlike God (v8)?
- The Devil would ____________ me (v8)
- I can __________ the Devil (v9, James 4:7)
- Jesus gives ___________ (John 10:28)
- A question I have:
- A truth to share:
- Something to pray about:
- How I will change: