Ladies, I have something to tell you: Men have a secret ability, a super power if you will.
We learned it from our dads, and we teach it to our sons: Men can hear instructions, directions, plans, concerns, hopes, dreams, and feelings, without listening to a word. And you probably haven’t even noticed!
Hearing doesn’t take much effort. It’s easy to listen passively, like having the radio on in the shed or when you go for a drive. But listening is a conscious choice to give your attention and concentration to what is being said.
Jesus said, “Pay attention to what you hear: with the measure you use, it will be measured to you, and still more will be added to you. For to the one who has, more will be given, and from the one who has not, even what he has will be taken away.” (Mark 4:24-25). If we listen a lot, we will receive a lot from God. If we listen just a little, then what we have will be taken away.
This passage is a warning: Are you listening?
- We Can Be Closed To Reason (v1-4)
- We Can Be Blinded By Prejudice (v5)
- We Can Be Looking For An Excuse (v6-7)
- God May Not Give Us Another Opportunity (v8-10)
How do you hear?
Sunday 16th May 2019
- Did Paul stop in every city (v1)? Yes/No
- The message about Jesus is open to ________________________________ (v2)
- Paul put the Jesus of _______________ alongside the Christ of the ______ (v3)
- Where is the death & resurrection of Christ in the OT?
- Topical preaching is what _____ want to hear about. Expositional preaching is what _________ wants to say (v2-3).
- Why did Jesus use parables (Mark 4:1-12)?
- Stott: “The NT knows nothing of an un________________ed Christian.” (v4)
- How do we reinforce our biases (v5)?
- Does disliking Christians make our message any less true (v6-7)? Yes/No
- Can we reject God’s word (v9)? Yes/No
- A question I have:
- A truth to share:
- Something to pray about:
- How I should live: